Welcome!

If you're a first time visitor (or just generally confused), here's an explanation: Originally this blog was titled "The Tree of Knowledge" and was full of my exhortations and explanations about various social issues. Now they aren't so much explanations as Tourette's like interjections, because I started to find the research exhausting.

Amazon Earth Day

Saturday, February 03, 2007

Shorter Showers

Decreasing the length of showers is important, since that much heated water takes a lot of energy. This is probably much harder for women than men, and I've been trying to think up a few ways that my showers could go faster. For one, switching to leave-in conditioner. This way I don't have to take the time to put it in and rinse it out with the water running. One could probably help by getting tangles out of long hair before a shower, so wetting and washing goes more quickly. Also, I've always been one to shave in the shower, but I figure it can probably be done afterward. Also, sugaring might be a reasonably good alternative if one has the patience and the deftness for it (Ideal Bite had a tip on sugaring not too long ago). And of course, the obvious action of using a timer to keep from losing track of time.

Plus, since it's winter and we are all generally less sweaty and smelly, we could probably do with fewer showers anyway.

Anyone else have suggestions for saving water?

2 comments:

Bean said...

I am sitting in my towel right now fresh out of the shower of which i was in for less than ten minutes. I use really hot water so that the germs are killed on my body and i shampoo and rinse and the body wash and then conditioner some days. I dont linger I get in and out and then thats it. Most people linger and stand under teh water for a long time. If its super hot you wont spend as much time but you will still be clean.

Aine Bina said...

The trouble with hot water is that it takes more energy than cooler water. Also, most germs are killed by soap and running water, rather than the temperature of the water. Most bacteria can easily withstand temperatures that the human body can handle. Plus, I always find that my body adjusts to hot water anyway.